United, Divided, Neutral?

Over the last several years my ideologies have morphed and become more of my own.  I won't go as far as saying that all of my ideals are concrete or set in stone, but I feel better about who I am more than ever.  I actually like me.  I guess the scariest thing about holding opinions is voicing them and then facing scrutiny and sometimes even feeling alone in your ideology.  I am never quite able to be completely on one end of the spectrum or the other.  I suppose the only type of radical I want to be is a radical Christian.  

I am feeling the pains of being a societal outlier (a point in a sample widely separated from the main cluster of points in the sample).  Funny, that term really seemed to speak to me after taking my Research Methods course last spring.  :)

But of course, my "normal" is perfectly "normal."  My belief system is firmly set on solid ground and gosh darn it; I am right about most things.  lol.  (Not really.)

Well, I been thinking that most of us are guilty of feeling that our "right" is "right."  Sometimes, when around those who hold contrasting opinions to our own, we feel a necessity for our voice be heard which may not always be necessary. But, there are times when we do need to be heard.  There comes a point when we need to say, "stop; no."  There have been times in the past when people have felt numb to the happenings around them and to the changes in society that came on so gradually, they don't even feel them.

Going off the beaten path of thought...  I was thinking about World War II and what horrific things happened to people who were "outliers."  There were people brave enough to say: "Stop, no!"  Though at the same time, there were many who would rather have not caused a stir.  They didn't like what came with being an "outlier."  It was too big of a risk.  There were even churches that remained silent during the reign of Nazi Germany.  Those who dared to disagree with Nazi ideals were sent to concentration camps.

I guess my main concern for our nation right now is the polarization of ideologies.  As I go through counseling training, I see how valuable it is for there to be a neutral ground for people to meet.  I do like a lot of people, places, and things that have promoted neutrality.   I have always valued many things about  religious groups such as: Amish, Mennonites, Quakers, etc...  Switzerland- they're neutral. (Also... according to Wikipedia they aren't alone... I know Wikipedia as a source... lol.  check it out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutrality_(international_relations)  

Here are a few more examples of things we hope to be neutral: Judges, Journalists, Counselors, Churches...???

When I think of neutrality.  I sometimes picture a "Safe Haven"... then the other part of me thinks... what?  There are times we have to act.  There are no bones about it.


"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality."
Desmond Tutu

So, as you can see, I can even be divided within my own ideals.  So, how do we make sound, rational decisions, if so much of our life can look gray?  For me, it all comes down to moral objectivity which I base on a Christian belief system.

I am pretty sure God wants us to be thoughtful in our actions and our reactions.

Scripture to think about:


Romans 12:2 ESV
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.



2 Corinthians 5:10 ESV
For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive what is due for what he has done in the body, whether good or evil.


Isaiah 5:20 ESV
Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!


Romans 13:8-10 ESV
Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law. For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,” and any other commandment, are summed up in this word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.




So, in my closing thoughts, I really should not fear our "Divided Nation" or being an "outlier."  Really turmoil should be no surprise... there is nothing new under the sun... right?  




Isaiah 41:10 NIV
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections Post Impeachment

Living in Joy