"To Be Young (is to be sad, is to be high)"




http://youtu.be/I_CbxZRW9Zw

I much prefer the joyfully sad bluegrass version of David Rawlings (w/ Gillian Welch) as opposed to the bluesy downtrodden sound of Ryan Adams’ version of "To Be Young (is to be sad, is to be high)"; though, I love Ryan Adams. There is something about bluegrass that makes me want to dance through hard times.

There are “Greats” in music. People who are able to weave together verse with melody and tell songs as stories. I believe we all cling to and are comforted by lyrics that speak our story or a story from our past.

Thank you to my sister, Meredith, for introducing me to many of my music “Greats.” Those people who often sing my song.

Gillian Welch & David Rawlings, Ryan Adams, Old Crow Medicine Show, Neko Case…

Also, I’m glad to have found my “Golden Greats” Emmylou Harris, Dolly Parton, Neil Young, Yusuf Islam (Cat Stevens), John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan, (though he should stick to song writing) and many more…

Now, I just need some iced tea, BBQ, potato salad, watermelon, and square dancing on a wooden platform in the cool of a summer night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections Post Impeachment

Living in Joy

United, Divided, Neutral?