Living in Joy

I attended the Celebration of Life service of an older lady neighbor who I have known for several years now this past weekend. One child ago, she saw me walking with my infant and invited me inside to chat. (She was often outside working in her yard and waving at those passing by.)

I came inside and immediately felt comfortable and welcomed. We talked about life, and she shared pictures of her family. She had a large family of six children (I believe). She was open about the current battle she was having with leukemia.  She was more sad about the new boundaries she was under than fearful of the disease.

After talking for some time, she shared with me that she had lost her husband to suicide when her children were fairly young. I was surprised. How had this lady gone on and remained one of the most cheerful and grateful women I had ever observed and known? 

Her perspective on life was to find joy through hard moments, to appreciate those she cared most about, and to live for the present day. 

Walking by her house and seeing her would, in fact, bring me joy. I have no doubt her joy was infectious.

Learning about her death and attending her Celebration of Life, I was surprised at how emotionally I responded. I knew she had been ill a long time. I guess I didn't realize how ill, because she was still sticking to her routines as normal dressing up with her girls for a themed Halloween amongst other things. 

It was a shock. I came to the understanding that I would not see her bright smile or feel her encouragement here again on Earth. I would truly miss her.

As several shared stories about her, I learned that she loved music and played for her church… and played the song "You are My Sunshine" regularly.  She was a silly, humorous person who did boarderline  
scandalous things like dancing on a table at least once and daring to love and dance to the Black Eyed Peas song, "I Gotta Feeling."

Anyway, I left the event happier than I came and felt cleansed through my grief. Her life really got me thinking about how I want to live. I pray I can someday radiate a similar joy through my presence. There are those people who just give you hope and acceptance by simply being there. I am far from having all of the answers of life, I hope to find joy in the present and hope for the future and love for those around me.  Life is a journey. Enjoy the process!


In honor of Merl Bowman

joy noun
\ ˈjȯi  \

Definition of joy (Entry 1 of 2)
1a: the emotion evoked by well-being, success, or good fortune or by the prospect of possessing what one desires : DELIGHT
b: the expression or exhibition of such emotion : GAIETY
2: a state of happiness or felicity : BLISS
3: a source or cause of delight
joy verb
joyed; joying; joys
Definition of joy (Entry 2 of 2)
intransitive verb

: to experience great pleasure or delight : REJOICE
transitive verb

1archaic : GLADDEN
2archaic : ENJOY
Other Words from joy
Synonyms & Antonyms
Example Sentences

Other Words from joy
Noun

joyless \ ˈjȯi-​ləs  \ adjective
joylessly adverb
joylessness noun
Synonyms & Antonyms for joy
Synonyms: Noun

beatitude, blessedness, bliss, blissfulness, felicity, gladness, happiness, warm fuzzies
Synonyms: Verb

crow, delight, exuberate, exult, glory, jubilate, kvell, rejoice, triumph
Antonyms: Noun

calamity, ill-being, misery, sadness, unhappiness, wretchedness
Visit the Thesaurus for More 
Examples of joy in a Sentence
Noun
 Their sorrow turned to joy.
 I can hardly express the joy I felt at seeing her again.

First Known Use of joy
Noun

13th century, in the meaning defined at sense 1a

Verb

14th century, in the meaning defined at intransitive sense

History and Etymology for joy
Noun and Verb

Middle English, from Anglo-French joie, from Latin gaudia, plural of gaudium, from gaudēre to rejoice; probably akin to Greek gēthein to rejoice

Dictionary Entries near joy
jowly

jowser

jowter

joy

joyance

Joyce

joyful

jump for joy

pride and joy

shout for joy


More Definitions for joy
joy noun
English Language Learners Definition of joy
: a feeling of great happiness
: a source or cause of great happiness : something or someone that gives joy to someone
British, informal : success in doing, finding, or getting something
See the full definition for joy in the English Language Learners Dictionary

joy noun
\ ˈjȯi  \
Kids Definition of joy
1: a feeling of pleasure or happiness that comes from success, good fortune, or a sense of well-being
2: something that gives pleasure or happiness
It's a joy to have you visit.


© 2020 Merriam-Webster, Incorporated


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections Post Impeachment

United, Divided, Neutral?